Today's Elites

Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Popular Entertainment is a Bummer

John Kennedy once spoke profoundly of America's mission to explore and ultimately colonize space should inspire and ennoble us. The lofty poetic sense should forever find and celebrate an ever deepening and evolving field of aspirations consonant with our unique human creative consciousness.

Instead we have become in our popular entertainment, a high tech version of the worst bestiality of the Roman Empire. Bread and circuses on steroids...

One extremely important aspect of this degradation is the way in which pop music surreptitiously captured the minds of the baby boomer generation. Now, many will scoff that this is just another loony conspiracy theory a la the debunked liberal straw man QAnon. The problem in understanding political conspiracies is that the cloak and dagger sort of criminal conspiracy is a total misdirection in understanding the "secrets known only to the inner elites." For instance what you have that makes actors act they way they sometimes do are usually popular movements that overtake their very psyches. Take the Eugenics craze. Yes, the Skull and Bones Society at Yale University included the same Bush family that promoted the rise of Adolf Hitler via funds from Harriman Brown Brothers up-and-comer Prescott Bush. And we should hold them responsible and some even attempted to do so with the "trading with the enemy" investigations.

So, when I began recently to unpack (as the current idiom would have it) my own unfortunate youthful entanglement with rock music, I realized that one of its consistent targets was mocking and belittling the space program. Now many who are of my age will rather hysterically deny this to be the case because it does cause a painful "cognitive dissonance" for them similar to the way in which Plato describes how those poor deluded souls in the cave would have to be brought kicking and screaming against their will out in to the light of day. One common refrain might be "I've never really listened to the lyrics." Yes, but you are being mesmerized with them over and over on the radio or now Internet over and over. 

But let us examine just a few of the popular rock songs, shall we? You be the judge, dear reader.

Here's one I just came upon today while poring over the popular "news" (selected just for my interests by AI neurolinguistic modelled "Big Data" no doubt.)

Spaceman
Song by Harry Nilsson

Bang! Bang! Shoot em' up, destiny
Bang! Bang! Shoot em' up to the moon
Bang! Bang! Shoot em' up one, two, three
One, two, three, four
I wanted to be a spaceman
That's what I wanted to be
But now that I am a spaceman
Nobody cares about me
Hey, Mother Earth
Won't ya bring me back down
Safely to the sea?
But 'round and around and around and around
Is all she ever say to me
I wanted to make a good run
I wanted to go to the moon
I knew that it had to be fun
I told 'em to send me real soon
I wanted to be a spaceman
I wanted to be it so bad
But now that I am a spaceman
I'd rather be back on the pad
Hey, Mother Earth
Won't ya bring me back down
Safely to the sea?
Around and around and around and around
Is just a lot of lunacy
(Yeah, yeah)
'Round and around and around and around and around
(So bring me back down)
'Round and around and around and around and around
Safe on the ground
Hey, Mother Earth
Better bring me back down
Safely to the sea
But 'round and around and around and around
Is all she ever say to me, yeah
You know I wanted to be a spaceman
That's what I wanted to be
But now that I am a spaceman
Nobody cares about me
Say, hey! You, Mother Earth
You better bring me back down
I've taken just as much as I can
But 'round and around and around and around
Is the problem of a spaceman

Of course, this rather explicit attack on the space program is just one of many even much more popular ones like Elton John's and David Bowie AKA Ziggy Stardust, etc. I won't waste the space copying these out here. But I hope you get my drift...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive