Sunday, September 12, 2010
Anniversary of the Battle of North Point
The turning point in the last British attempt to militarily defeat the United States was fought on this day in 1814. David Poe Sr. at 71 fought in that battle. He was the grandfather of Edgar Allan Poe. During the Revolutionary War, David Poe Sr. was the Assistant Quartermaster General of Baltimore. He lent $40,000 to the cause. The Continental Congress never repaid him. General LaFayette noted that Poe sent him $500 for the clothing and feeding of his troops. His wife Elizabeth helped sew clothes for the troops. LaFayette visited the grave of his friend Poe in Baltimore on October 23rd, 1824. This visit of LaFayette impelled the Congress to provide an annual pension for his impoverished widow Elizabeth of $240. In that same year, LaFayette visited Richmond, Virginia, where Edgar at age fourteen was a lieutenant in the honor guard of a volunteer company called the Junior Morgan Riflemen which was chosen to guard the general.
Posted by Thingumbobesquire at 5:09 AM
- ► 2017 (14)
- ► 2016 (29)
- ► 2015 (30)
- ► 2014 (28)
- ► 2013 (58)
- ► 2012 (162)
- ► 2011 (218)
- Time Will Tell
- Obama Takes on Wall Street? (According to Our Alwa...
- The Necessary Needling of the Insolence of Some F...
- The Curious Case of John Mitchel, Young Ireland, a...
- How to Destroy Your Nation from the Geniuses Known...
- The Prescience of Riemann's Scientific Method
- Blind Man's Buff
- Tell-tale Signs of Obama's Impending Mental Collap...
- Solar Energy Technology Research Is a Waste
- Con Men: Pure and Simple
- Anniversary of the Battle of North Point
- The Quran Issue and American Ecumenicism: The Secr...
- Leonardo Project and the Ultrasound Continuum Mech...
- Mr Krugman Is Once Again Proven A Complete Dunce
- Is It Racist To Be Against Obama?
- What Exactly Bounds the Universe?
- The Exquisite Beauty of the Art of Hypothesis
- ▼ September (17)
- ► 2009 (30)
- ► 2008 (22)
- ► 2007 (16)