Sunday, January 22, 2012
Yes Virginia, the Roman Pantheon Was Purified Evil
Remarkable that a civilization that had such a refined degree of inventiveness could at the same time devolve into such a thoroughly evil empire.
The J. Paul Getty Museum and the Bibliothèque nationale de France are collaborating on the research and conservation treatment of the Berthouville Treasure, the extraordinary Roman silver hoard from the Bibliotheque’s Cabinet des Médailles.
Almost one hundred objects arrived at the Getty Villa in December 2010, and technical examination, analysis, and photography of the individual artifacts continued throughout 2011.
One of the most intriguing objects is a small silver statuette, about 14 inches high, of Mercury, the Roman god of travel and commerce. The statuette was found in fragments, which were entrusted in the 19th century for restoration to Alexi Joseph Depaulis, a well known artist who worked in metal.
Knowing what has been done to the sculpture over the years, and what is inside it, is the first step in understanding how to properly conserve it. Close visual analysis along with X-radiographs have revealed much about this history.
X-rays revealed that Depaulis employed an armature of small metal rods with twisted wire. Wax was used to construct a stable support structure to hold the individual silver fragments. Analysis by our colleagues at the Getty Conservation Institute has established that the wax is natural beeswax.
Our study also suggests that the silver used to create the Mercury statuette was manufactured by hammering silver to a thin gauge sheet, but the left hand is solid and seems to have been made separately and to have been attached to the wrist of the right arm by sliding its wrist portion into the hollow arm. Traces of gilding on the wings of the god’s helmet are also preserved. The support rods appear to be solid and stable, so we have no plans to remove them.
Our work on this statue was one of what we hope to be many more interesting findings with this project.
<< Join Suzanne Lacy to Demand that #RapeEndsHereMasterpiece of the Week: Andy Warhol’s Polaroid, a Self-Portrait for the Facebook Age >>
Posted by Thingumbobesquire at 7:54 AM
- ► 2016 (29)
- ► 2015 (30)
- ► 2014 (28)
- ► 2013 (58)
- Nobody Here But Us Crackpots
- Michelle Obama, Agent Provocateur? Oh My...
- Another Modest Proposal For Misbehaving Physicists...
- European Financial Oligarchs Seek Great Wall of Mo...
- A theodicy that coheres with science
- Who believes in time travel?
- Big Bad Wolf and "Wall of Money" a Twisted Fairy T...
- Curious Poe Quote Attacking Free Trade and Literar...
- Unfinished Thingumbob Rhyme During the Late London...
- More Tales of the Grotesque
- All Secrets Revealed
- Foreign Entanglements Are Killers
- Yet More Arrant Gobbledygook
- Awakening From the Magic Spell: A Work in Progress...
- A Modest Suggestion
- Good Science Bad Politics
- Rape of Boudicca
- That's Entertainment
- The Imp of the Paradox: President without a Countr...
- Yes Virginia, the Roman Pantheon Was Purified Evil...
- Wherein Thingumbob Answers the Ludicrous Charge th...
- The Race for the Presidency: The Bathetic Versus T...
- Real Science for a Change
- Attack on Randomness from an Emergent "Kant Wholis...
- Navalny: An NED Used Up Man
- John Lennon "Devil's Own Child" versus Jimmy Carte...
- Newton's Alchemy Apologists Unmasked
- Friday follies
- Bravura Performance by Ever Wiley Shimon Peres
- Scientists recreate evolution of complexity using ...
- Barack Insane Obama, Tebowing, and HRH Rocketman
- What Did Mr. Shakespeare Actually KNOW About Mach...
- My Midnight Confession
- Why Rembrandt Like Keats Understood The Ironic Bey...
- The Creative Mind Versus Neurology
- Billions of Tons of Fresh Water...Yet We Still Die...
- Indefinitely Detained
- "Evaporating blackholes" sounds like an apt metaph...
- Hail Fellows--Well Met!
- OBAMA'S NEW YEAR DICTAT: HOPE YOU DON'T GET INDEFI...
- Leonardo's Enemies: the Undead
- A Fool's Errand
- The Standard Model of Physics and Edgar Allan Poe
- Time IS Relative
- A New Year, Professor Krugman The Butt of My Squib...
- Holy Armageddon
- The Only Thing Wrong
- Ron Paul's Schizophrenic Stance on the Constitutio...
- China Adopts the Mantle for Humanity
- ▼ January (50)
- ► 2011 (218)
- ► 2010 (139)
- ► 2009 (30)
- ► 2008 (22)
- ► 2007 (16)