Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Least Action Principle Awaits Innumerable Discoveries
The anti-empiricism "continental" Leibnizian universal principle of least action continues to spur on breakthroughs in all branches of science. The latest is a fascinating study of how heart muscle fibers are organized in a minimal surface called a generalized helicoid. The beauty of this organization is that it allows for the ultimate strength as the tissue expands and contacts with the blood flow. Thus, contrary to the misanthrope Voltaire's attack on Leibniz: the pre-established harmonic ordering across all biological domains really does make this the "best of all possible worlds."
Posted by Thingumbobesquire at 12:57 PM
- ► 2016 (29)
- ► 2015 (30)
- ► 2014 (28)
- ► 2013 (58)
- China Takes Up The Mantle of Civilization
- Why James Fenimore Cooper's Politics Made Him a Ma...
- Least Action Principle Awaits Innumerable Discover...
- Uprooting Our Mostly Misleading Assumptions
- DARPA Seeks to Automate Garment Industry: The Mora...
- Nature is Noble...Or Maybe Not So Much
- Massacre in Houla: Something is Very, Very Rotten
- Tabletop X-Ray Laser and Piero's Risen Christ
- Behaviorists Still Behaving Badly (Of Course)
- More Obama Graffitti on the Wall Creates an Eyesor...
- Eurodammerung, Greek Erinyes, and Spanish Tragedy
- ▼ June (12)
- ► 2011 (218)
- ► 2010 (139)
- ► 2009 (30)
- ► 2008 (22)
- ► 2007 (16)