Saturday, May 29, 2010
Open Letter on Rembrandt to Steve DiPaola
This item crossed my computer screen yesterday and elicited the following open letter to Mr DiPaola :
A University of British Columbia researcher has uncovered what makes Rembrandt's masterful portraits so appealing.
Leonardo, UBC researcher Steve DiPaola argues that Rembrandt may have pioneered a technique that guides the viewer's gaze around a portrait, creating a special narrative and "calmer" viewing experience.
Renaissance artists used various techniques to engage viewers, many incorporating new scientific knowledge on lighting, spatial layout and perspectives. To isolate and pinpoint factors that contribute to the "magic" of Rembrandt's portraits, DiPaola used computer-rendering programs to recreate four of the artist's most famous portraits from photographs of himself and other models. Replicating Rembrandt's techniques, he placed a sharper focus on specific areas of the model's face, such as the eyes.
Posted by Thingumbobesquire at 10:33 AM
- ► 2017 (13)
- ► 2016 (29)
- ► 2015 (30)
- ► 2014 (28)
- ► 2013 (58)
- ► 2012 (162)
- ► 2011 (218)
- Debt Moratoria Redux?
- Frank Rich: Illiterate Joker
- Open Letter on Rembrandt to Steve DiPaola
- Thank God for Japan! Bravo!
- Boycott BP now!
- Nationalize BP
- A Royal Mess, Or The Queen Is Not Amused
- King Pest Obama
- Exclusive Thingumbob Interview
- The Truth About the Information Age
- Reply to Water Russel Meade's Anti Global Warming ...
- The Truth About Sovereign Debt Bailouts
- Random Noise or Crosstalk? God Still Doesn't Shoot...
- Bankers In Euphoric Orgy: "Just Give Us the Dough,...
- A Classic Case of Manipulation of Misplaced Rage
- Principled Vampires Need More Blood
- Pseudoscience Mockery
- More Anti-science Quackery
- Stephen Hawking: You're No Einstein!
- The Value of Money: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Atheism Versus Intelligent Design: Another Dog and...
- The Ugly Truth About Paul Krugman
- Greek Crisis
- ▼ May (23)
- ► 2009 (30)
- ► 2008 (22)
- ► 2007 (16)